Identity Verification and the USCIS Immigrant Fee
When your USCIS Immigrant Fee is paid, you will have the option to create a USCIS online account after you verify your identity. Creating a USCIS online account is voluntary. Having a USCIS online account allows you to:
- Check the status of your Permanent Resident Card (commonly referred to as a Green Card);
- Change and update your address online; and
- Receive electronic notifications and case updates.
Although anyone can pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee on your behalf, only you as the immigrant may create a USCIS online account and go through the process to verify your identity. Verifying your identity protects your personal information and ensures we communicate with the right person when we send you secure documents.
You do not need to create a USCIS online account to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee.
If You Choose Not to Create an Online Account
You can still use Case Status Online to track the status of your Green Card. To get the status of your case, you will need the receipt number for your USCIS Immigrant Fee payment. Your receipt number will begin with the letters “IOE.”
About Identity Verification
Before you can create a USCIS online account, you will need to verify your identity by correctly answering questions about your personal immigration history. When answering these questions, you may find it helpful to refer to documents such as:
- Your passport;
- The visa issued to you by the U.S. Department of State; and
- Your visa application or immigrant petition.
Note: The identity verification questions are not limited to the information contained in these documents.
If you are unable to answer the identity verification questions correctly, you will not be able to make changes to your account profile or access case information from your USCIS online account until your identity is verified. If your identity cannot be confirmed online, you will receive instructions to by visiting your local U.S. post office and our Change of Address page.
Still need help?
Use the online help form if you need assistance with:
- Technical issues with your USCIS online account;
- Retrieving your user ID or having your password reset for your USCIS online account; or
- Getting information about your USCIS online application, petition, or request.